Third grade…learning is fun in third grade! The children continue to grow spiritually and strengthen their faith in God. Our students develop socially, emotionally, and academically. We work towards maintaining and fostering positive self-concepts. Development of good study skills is strengthened. The use of a daily assignment notebook helps to keep our students organized. We work together with parents to make the year a successful and rewarding one for our students.
Approximately fifty percent of the stories read in third grade are fiction and the other fifty percent are non-fiction. Every story helps develop student’s vocabulary, comprehension, decoding and reference skills.
The children read independently and visit the school library weekly. Opportunities are given for presentation and public speaking as well.
Each student has his/her own writing journal and use of dictionary.
Areas of study include:
- Capitalization and punctuation
- Writing a personal narrative
- Writing a story
- Writing instructions
- Writing to express an opinion
- Writing to persuade
As part of the total language arts approach our spelling program connects with reading, thinking, phonics, vocabulary, and writing. The students master weekly spelling word list weekly.
Mathematics instruction includes:
- Place value
- Money and time
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication facts and concepts
- Division concepts and facts
- Data and probability
- Fractions and decimals
- Multiplication and division
The children learn to write in cursive as well as practice their printing.
Religion instruction includes:
- Daily bible stories
- Attending weekly mass
- Participate as lectors in mass
Topics of religious instruction include:
- The Creed
- Christian morality
- Liturgical seasons
- Catholic prayers and practices
- Third graders learn about Michigan History
- Tour the State Capitol and Michigan History museum.
- Learn about current events
- Explore the world around us and host an International festival
Sacred Heart is proud to be a NASA Explore School
- Plants and animals
- How plants and animals interact
- Earth and land
- Cycles of the Earth
- Investigate matter
- Explore energy and forces
- Physical Education
- Foreign Language