The kindergarten curriculum at Sacred Heart Catholic School is academically based. We strive to develop the whole child.
Sacred Heart School Pledge
I am a child of God. I will follow the teachings of Jesus. I will show respect for myself. I will show respect for others. I will be truthful. I will be responsible for my words and my actions. I will be the best students I can be. I CAN learn. I WILL learn.
- Creation-Exploring the world God has made and our responsibility to care for it.
- God- Students learn about God’s love through the gifts of creation.
- Jesus Christ- Learn about Jesus’ birth and life on earth.
- The Church- Learn about the Church as a family created by God and knowing their own membership in the Church.
- Christian Morality- Know that God has created us to know, love and serve him.
- The Sacraments- Introduction to the sacraments through symbols.
- Salvation History- Know that God has a plan for creation and that all people are called to justice, love and peace.
- Attend and participate in all school masses weekly
- Participate in Christian service projects throughout the year.
- Recognize common environment symbols/signs/words
- Bring to use left to right, top to bottom, directionality to track print.
- Identify book parts (cover, title, picture, text)
- Identify all letters and sounds
- Read sight words and word wall
- Understand word meanings
- Rhyming words
- Blending sounds to create words
- Retelling stories with accuracy
- Main idea
- Predicting outcomes
- Drawing conclusions
- Making text to world connections
- Making text to self -connections
- Using prior knowledge
- Print upper and lower case letters
- Write first and last name
- Use words and/or pictures to convey ideas
- Apply phonic skills to spell words
- Journal writing
- Class books
- Wait for turn
- Avoid unnecessary interruptions
- Participate in read aloud at appropriate times
- Learn active listening skills
- Use complete sentences to share stories orally
- Develop the skills of brainstorming
- Listen and follow verbal directions
- Recognize appropriate time to speak
- Join and add to group discussions.
- Clearly express ideas to teacher and peers
- Speak in front of peers
- Solid and classifying
- Solid /plane shapes
- Patterning, ordering, and graphing
- Numbers; counting, grouping, naming order and writing
- Time, hour, before/next, first, last, day/night
- Money: penny, nickel, dime, quarter
- Adding and subtracting basic facts
- Estimating and reasoning
- Problem Solving