Middle School Curriculum :
Our middle school program is designed to prepare students for a successful high school experience. In addition to academic requirements students have the option of participating in extracurricular activities, as well as service, social and faith based activities.
During the 7th and 8th grade years, students, along with their families, prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation in a parish based program with students from our religious education program as well as Sacred Heart Catholic School students. Middle school students are provided with numerous leadership opportunities in the school community. Students are encouraged at each grade level to see themselves as role models and resources for younger students. Student government positions are filled by elected students from grades 5-8. Eighth grade students plan and conduct an annual Mardi Gras celebration for the entire school, and distribute proceeds among charities.
We encourage developing a strong catholic Identity at Sacred Heart Catholic School. In religion 6-8 grade students learn about the four pillars of their Catholic faith: prayer, creed, sacrament, and morality. Likewise, students learn about social justice and the liturgical year. Students participate in the Think First, Be Safe program: an Archdiocese of Detroit approved program that encourages students to use their instincts to be safe in any situation. All students participate in a variety of Catholic traditions, such as Eucharistic adoration, service projects, the Living Rosary and the May crowning of Mary.
- Study of Old Testament
- Christian service
- Church history
- Covenant made between God and His people and how Jesus is the New Covenant, which fulfills all that God promised.
- Catholic Christian traditions
- Foundation in the belief of one God.
- Students will build upon our knowledge from 6th grade by continuing the kings and discussing the prophets. This prepares us for Christ who is priest, prophet, and king.
- Study of parables
- Learning: Who is Jesus?
- Learning how Jesus’ Presence is alive in us and in our church
- Church history
- God’s revelation in Scripture
- Gift of the Holy Spirit
- Confirmation preparation
- Reading comprehension strategies are developed
- Text connections to self, text and world
- Context clues
- Verbal and written expression
- Vocabulary skills developed
- Grammar: parts of speech
- Diagraming sentences
- Writing a research paper
- Writing an outline
- Journal writing
- Writing in various styles including: poetry, narrative, and informative
- Writing sentences, paragraphs and essays
- Creative writing
- Place Value
- Whole numbers
- Problem solving
- Number concepts
- Statistics and graphing
- Algebra-expression and equations
- Who numbers
- Metric conversion
- Ratio and proportions
- Perimeter, area, and volume
- Positive and negative numbers
- Language of Algebra
- Solving Equations and Inequalities
- Factors and fractions
- Rational number computations
- Graphing equations and inequalities
- Ratios, proportions, and Percent
- Statistics and Probability
- Geometry and Measurement
- Problem solving
- Rational & real numbers
- Quadratic functions
- Ratio & Proportions
- Real numbers and fractions
- Solving equations
- System of equations
Grade 7 and 8:
- Prehistoric and early civilization to the Middle Ages, through modern times.
- Chronological study of the history of the United States, from its beginnings to the present.
- Physical Education
- Foregin Language
Sacred Heart 8th Grade Class 2014